Web 2.0 and Social media. The graphic above lists some of the many social networking sites. The question to ask about this new media is it the greatest thing since sliced bread or just a passing fad? Check out these stats:
- Social media has overtaken porn as the number one activity on the web.
- 1 out of every 8 couples in the U.S. met through social media.
- Facebook has over 500 million users.
- YouTube is the second most used search engine after Google.
- 80% of companies use social media for recruiting.
- Twitter search gives instantaneous results that don’t rely on search engine optimization.
Still think it’s a fad? More like a fundamental shift in how society communicates. If your business isn’t utilizing these social media tools, you’re missing a huge opportunity to interact with current clients, and the ability to attract new ones.
Customers are more likely to trust a peer review or social bookmark on your product or service than they are a traditional advertisement for the same product or service.
There isn’t a small business or local service provider who can’t benefit from a strong social networking presence. Erik Qualman, who wrote the book on the subject, as well as produced the following video, has dubbed this phenomenon “Socialnomics.”
Is your business leveraging the power of social networking?
Leave a comment below to tell us how you’re interacting and gaining new customers with this powerful tool.